google voice is by far a neat and clean solution for making free calls to USA and Canada. It is however, not completely free since you need to use your anytime minutes to call Google Voice number. People with unlimited calling to few numbers usually add their GV number to the list of favorite destination and make free calls without using anytime minutes provided by their telecom operator. This is a good hack but not everyone has free numbers in their plan. If you remember Gizmo offers free calls from Google Voice. This was such a great application that Google acquired gizmo and now sits on it. They have stopped new registrations to Gizmo and only those who registered while it was available are able to make calls using Gizmo. We are going to introduce a similar method only using Sipgate.
Why to use Google Voice with SipGate
We experimented with some tools and ran into a way to make free calls using Google Voice without wasting your anytime minutes. All you need to do is to set up your Sip gate in order to make free phone calls anywhere in USA and Canada. Once you set up your Sipgate account you can use your computer as a cell phone. You can still receive calls on your main number using your cell phone or you can do this using your computer or laptop. This way you can save your anytime cellular minutes and probably experience a better call quality with added advantage of having the privilege to record your calls.
What all do you need to use GV with Sipgate
Google Voice Account: You need a GV account which is now open for all, that is you do not need an invitation for GV any more. You also need a Sipgate Account and phone number, both of these are free. Sipgate provides a host of services other than Sipgate One which we are going to talk about today.
Step by step tutorial to set up Sipgate with GV
- Step 1: First thing is to get a Google Voice account if you do not have one. You can choose a number based on your preferences.
- Step 2: Get a Sipgate account. This is similar to the process you followed to get a GV account. You need to visit sipgate One website to get started. They will send you a text message that has a confirmation code for verification purposes. You can provide your own cell phone or if text is not free you can also use the GV number to get that text.
- Step 3: Provide the basic information like your name, address and email. Make sure you provide a working email as you will have to confirm it.
- Step 4: Download Sipgate software but do not start installing it right away. Respond to your email first that you get after your Sipgate registration.
- Step 5: you will eventually land at a page where you have to choose your phone number. You need to add your exact address here. Make sure you pick the number that is available for free as they have paid options too.
- Step 6: Go to Sipgate website, sign in and click on settings in the upper right corner. You will see your phone number you provided for texting in your default phone section. You want your main phone to be here as that is where you want to take all your calls if you are not in a position to use your computer.
- Step 7: Go to your GV account and add this new number you got from Sipgate and add it as a new phone under GV. You will have to verify it so make sure you need to install your application now. Once it is installed run it and log in. Let GV confirm this number by calling you, pick up the call from GV and enter the digits (switch to dial-pad) that GV asked you to type for confirmation.
That is all, now you are all set to use your GV account without spending your cellular minutes. This is a long tutorial and might need you to try things two-three times if you do not get it correct the first time. However, it works . BTW, there is a way way easier method to use Google voice as your home phone solution using Obihai. Read how Google Voice Obihai adapter can help you have a free home phone solution with the ability to use it from anywhere using mobile application.